Audio Engineer vs Sound Engineer

Would you make a good audio engineer? Take our career test and find your match with over 800 careers.

Take the free career test Learn more about the career test

The terms "audio engineer" and "sound engineer" are often used interchangeably, and both refer to professionals who work with sound and audio equipment. However, there can be some nuanced differences in how these terms are applied, depending on context and regional preferences.

Audio Engineer

  • The term "audio engineer" is broad and encompasses professionals who work with various aspects of audio, including recording, mixing, and mastering. Audio engineers may work in recording studios, live sound reinforcement, post-production for film and television, radio, and other audio-related fields.
  • Audio engineers can specialize in specific areas such as studio recording, where they focus on capturing and producing music or voice recordings. They may also work as live sound engineers, responsible for managing sound during concerts, events, or broadcasts. The term "audio engineer" is inclusive of individuals who work in diverse audio-related roles.
  • In academic or formal contexts, the title "audio engineer" is commonly used to describe professionals with training in engineering principles applied to sound. This includes understanding acoustics, signal processing, and the technical aspects of audio equipment.

Sound Engineer

  • The term "sound engineer" is a broader, more generic descriptor for professionals working in sound-related fields. It encompasses not only those specializing in audio engineering but also professionals involved in sound design for film, television, and gaming, as well as individuals working in acoustics, noise control, and related areas.
  • "Sound engineer" is a more umbrella term that can cover a range of roles, including audio engineers, acoustic engineers, and professionals working in sound reinforcement, broadcasting, and audiovisual production.
  • In some regions or industries, "sound engineer" may be the preferred term when referring to professionals who work in live sound reinforcement, setting up and managing sound systems for events.

In essence, while "audio engineer" and "sound engineer" are often used interchangeably, "audio engineer" tends to be more specific to professionals working directly with audio recording, mixing, and production, whereas "sound engineer" can encompass a broader range of sound-related disciplines, including those outside the traditional scope of audio engineering. It's important to note that the usage of these terms can vary, and individuals in these professions may use the title that aligns with their specific role or regional conventions.

Related Careers



Your Match?
Avg Wage
3.5 / 5

A doctor is a medical professional who has completed the necessary education and training to diagnose, treat, and prevent illnesses and injuries in individuals.