Is becoming a magician right for me?
The first step to choosing a career is to make sure you are actually willing to commit to pursuing the career. You don’t want to waste your time doing something you don’t want to do. If you’re new here, you should read about:
Still unsure if becoming a magician is the right career path? Take the free CareerExplorer career test to find out if this career is right for you. Perhaps you are well-suited to become a magician or another similar career!
Described by our users as being “shockingly accurate”, you might discover careers you haven’t thought of before.
How to become a Magician
Becoming a magician requires a combination of passion, practice, and perseverance. Here is a detailed description of how to become a magician:
- Develop a passion for magic: Before you can become a magician, you need to have a deep interest in magic and the art of illusion. This may involve reading books and watching videos about magic, attending magic shows, and practicing basic magic tricks.
- Learn the basics: As a beginner, it's important to learn the basic techniques of magic, including sleight of hand, misdirection, and manipulation. This may involve taking classes or workshops, working with a mentor or experienced magician, or practicing on your own.
- Build a repertoire: Once you have mastered the basics, it's time to start building a repertoire of tricks and illusions that you can perform for an audience. This may involve developing original tricks or adapting existing ones to your own style and personality.
- Practice and rehearse: To become a skilled magician, you need to practice your tricks and illusions until they become second nature. This may involve hours of practice each day, as well as rehearsing your entire act to ensure that everything flows smoothly and seamlessly.
- Perform in front of an audience: One of the most important steps in becoming a magician is to perform in front of an audience. This may involve performing for family and friends, at local magic clubs or events, or at open mic nights or other public venues.
- Build a reputation: As you gain experience and establish yourself as a performer, it's important to build a reputation as a skilled and entertaining magician. This may involve networking with other magicians, creating a website or social media presence, and marketing yourself to potential clients.
- Continue learning and growing: To stay relevant and competitive in the field of magic, it's important to continue learning and growing as a performer. This may involve attending conferences or workshops, studying the work of other magicians, and experimenting with new tricks and techniques.
Schools and Training Workshops
The following are just a few examples of the schools and training workshops available to magicians. There are also other options available, including online courses and tutorials, as well as local magic clubs and groups.
- The Magic Castle - The Magic Castle is a private magic club located in Hollywood, California that offers lectures, workshops, and classes for its members. The club also hosts an annual convention called the Magic Castle Swap Meet that is open to the public.
- Magic Inc. - Magic Inc. is a magic shop and school located in Chicago, Illinois. They offer a variety of classes and workshops for all levels of experience, as well as private lessons.
- The Society of American Magicians - The Society of American Magicians is a non-profit organization that has chapters all over the US. They offer workshops, seminars, and conventions for magicians of all levels, as well as a youth program called the Society of Young Magicians.
- Mystery School - Mystery School is an online magic school founded by magician Jeff McBride. The school offers a range of courses, including a comprehensive 27-day program for aspiring magicians.
- The Conjuring Arts Research Center - The Conjuring Arts Research Center is a non-profit organization based in New York City that is dedicated to preserving the history and art of magic. They offer classes, lectures, and workshops on various aspects of magic, including history, theory, and performance.
- The Chavez Studio of Magic - The Chavez Studio of Magic is a school for magicians located in Colon, Michigan. The school offers a comprehensive program that covers all aspects of magic, including theory, technique, and performance.