Pro TipStill unsure if a degree in chemical engineering is your calling? Take the career test
Chemical Engineering is a degree category that consists of the following common degrees:
Avg Grad Salary:
The field of chemical engineering is focused on how the chemical, biochemical, and physical properties of substances can be changed to turn them into something else. Examples of this work are making plastic from oil, developing synthetic fibers for clothing, identifying ways to mass-produce drugs, and finding ways to solve environmental problems.
Students of chemical engineering learn how to apply math and science to create the chemical reactions needed to produce new materials and products.
The typical chemical engineering curriculum is made up of courses like these:
- Biochemistry – studies the chemical concepts of biology; it is used in diagnosis and treatment of disease
- Organic Chemistry – studies living things and all of the chemical reactions related to life
- Physical Chemistry – studies how matter behaves on a molecular and atomic levels
- Thermodynamics – studies the physics of heat
- Chemical and Biological Reaction Engineering
- Chemical Kinetics
- Material and Energy Balances
- Heat, Mass, and Momentum Transfer