The digital nomad lifestyle is a relatively new way of living and working that has become increasingly popular in recent years. Digital nomads are individuals who use technology to work remotely and are not tied to a physical office or location. This lifestyle allows them to travel the world while still earning a living, and it has become a popular choice for people who value freedom, flexibility, and adventure.
Let’s explore everything you need to know about being a digital nomad, including the benefits and challenges of this lifestyle, tips for success, and helpful online resources. We will also highlight six inspiring examples of digital nomads who have successfully built location-independent careers.
Benefits of Being a Digital Nomad
One of the biggest benefits of being a digital nomad is the freedom and flexibility to work from anywhere in the world. This allows you to explore new places and cultures, meet new people, and gain new experiences. You can work from a beach in Bali one day and a coffee shop in Paris the next, all while maintaining a fulfilling career.
Another benefit of being a digital nomad is the ability to design your own work schedule. You can work during the hours that best suit your lifestyle and personal preferences, whether that’s early in the morning or late at night. This can help you achieve a better work-life balance and avoid burnout.
Being a digital nomad can also be a great way to save money on living expenses. Depending on where you choose to live and work, you may be able to reduce your living costs significantly compared to living in a high-cost city. This can give you more financial freedom to invest in your business or save for future travel.
Challenges of Being a Digital Nomad
While being a digital nomad can offer many benefits, it also comes with its own set of challenges. One of the biggest challenges is staying productive and motivated while working remotely. Without the structure and accountability of a traditional office environment, it can be easy to become distracted and lose focus.
Another challenge is the lack of a consistent support network. When you’re constantly on the move, it can be difficult to build and maintain relationships with colleagues, friends, and family. This can lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness.
Finally, being a digital nomad can be challenging when it comes to staying organized and managing your finances. You will need to keep track of your expenses, file taxes in multiple countries, and manage your own health insurance and retirement savings. This can be overwhelming and time-consuming, but it’s essential for long-term success.
Despite the challenges, many digital nomads find that the benefits of this lifestyle outweigh the drawbacks. They enjoy the freedom and flexibility that comes with being location-independent, as well as the opportunities to explore new places, meet new people, and gain new experiences. The digital nomad lifestyle also encourages personal and professional growth, as individuals are forced to be resourceful, adaptable, and self-motivated.
Career Choices for Digital Nomads
With the rise of technology and globalization, there are now a variety of career choices available to the digital nomad. Here’s a snapshot of a few:
- Web Developer: As a web developer, you can work from anywhere in the world. You can create and maintain websites for clients and earn a good income.
- Web Designer: Web designers create the visual elements of a website, including the layout, color scheme, typography, and graphics. Freelance web designers have a roster of clients they work with, and their work is usually project-based.
- Graphic Designer: Graphic designers can create logos, illustrations, and other designs for clients from anywhere in the world. You can work on projects remotely and communicate with clients via email or video conferencing.
- Social Media Manager: Social media managers create and implement social media strategies for businesses or individuals. They are in charge of managing the online presence of their clients, using social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and others.
- Photographer: With the rise of social media and the increasing demand for visual content, the role of the photographer has become even more important in capturing and sharing images that inspire, inform, and connect people around the world.
- Travel Writer: The best travel writing introduces us to new places, people, and ideas. It makes us dream, plan, and pack our bags. Or it transports us through words to places we might otherwise never see. Travel writers can work for established media companies, newspapers, or government tourism boards, or publish their work on DIY blogs sites.
Useful Technical Skills for Digital Nomads
Digital nomads typically need a set of technical skills to succeed in their work while traveling, such as:
- Digital literacy: A basic understanding of computer systems, software applications, and the internet is crucial. Digital nomads must be comfortable working with various devices and software tools.
- Online communication skills: Digital nomads should be proficient in using online communication tools such as email, chat, video conferencing, and collaboration platforms.
- Website design and development: Knowledge of website design and development is useful for digital nomads who are building their own websites or working on client projects.
- Search engine optimization (SEO): Understanding SEO is essential for digital nomads who rely on their websites to attract clients or customers.
- Social media marketing: Digital nomads can leverage social media platforms to promote their businesses or services. Therefore, having a good understanding of social media marketing is essential.
- Cloud computing: Cloud computing enables digital nomads to access their work files from anywhere with an internet connection. Thus, they must be proficient in cloud computing tools such as Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive.
- Cybersecurity: Digital nomads need to be vigilant about cybersecurity threats to protect their sensitive data and their clients’ data. Therefore, they should have a good understanding of cybersecurity best practices.
- Online payment systems: Digital nomads must be familiar with online payment systems to receive payments from clients or customers. Familiarity with payment systems such as PayPal, Stripe, and TransferWise is essential.
- Virtual assistance: Digital nomads can use virtual assistance tools to automate tasks, manage schedules, and organize their work. Therefore, they should have a good understanding of virtual assistance tools such as Zapier, IFTTT, and Trello.
Practical Tips for Digital Nomads
There are several practical tips and strategies you can use to ensure your success as a digital nomad. Here are a few key ones:
- Set clear goals: It’s important to have a clear vision of what you want to achieve as a digital nomad. This will help you stay motivated and focused on your long-term goals.
- Create a routine: While the flexibility of being a digital nomad is great, it’s also important to establish a routine that helps you stay productive and focused. This might include setting aside specific work hours each day, taking breaks at regular intervals, and prioritizing self-care activities.
- Build a support network: Even if you’re constantly on the move, it’s important to build a support network of like-minded individuals who can offer advice, support, and friendship. This might include joining digital nomad communities on social media or attending meetups and events in your area.
- Stay organized: As a digital nomad, you will need to stay organized when it comes to managing your finances, taxes, and travel plans. Make sure to use tools and apps that can help you stay on top of these tasks and avoid any costly mistakes.
- Embrace change: Embracing change is a fundamental aspect of being a successful digital nomad, as it allows you to adapt to new environments and challenges and lets you continue to grow both personally and professionally.
- Be adaptable: Flexibility is key when you’re a digital nomad. You may encounter unexpected challenges along the way, such as slow internet connections or changes in your travel plans. Learning to be adaptable and find creative solutions to problems will help you navigate these challenges with ease.
- Focus on your work: It can be tempting to spend all of your time exploring new places and meeting new people, but remember that you are also there to work. Set boundaries for yourself and prioritize your work tasks, so that you can make progress on your career goals while also enjoying the benefits of travel.
- Stay connected with clients and colleagues: When you’re working remotely, it’s important to stay connected with your clients and colleagues. This might mean scheduling regular check-ins or video calls, or using collaboration tools like Slack or Trello to stay in touch.
- Take care of your health: Traveling and working remotely can be stressful, so it’s important to prioritize your health and wellness. Make sure to get enough sleep, eat healthy foods, and exercise regularly. You might also consider mindfulness practices like meditation or yoga to help you stay centered and focused.
- Keep learning: Being a digital nomad offers many opportunities for personal and professional growth. Take advantage of these opportunities by learning new skills, exploring new hobbies, and connecting with people from diverse backgrounds. This will not only help you grow as a person, but it can also lead to new career opportunities and collaborations.
Best Online Resources for Digital Nomads
The following resources can help digital nomads find job opportunities, connect with other travelers, and find reliable accommodation and workspaces.
- Nomadlist: A website that provides information on the cost of living, weather, and internet speed in various cities around the world.
- Remote.co: A job board that lists remote job opportunities in various industries.
- Workfrom: A website that provides information on coworking spaces and cafes with reliable internet connections in cities around the world.
- Couchsurfing: A community of travelers who offer free accommodation and cultural exchange opportunities.
- Meetup: A platform that allows you to find and join local groups of like-minded people.
- Coworker: A platform that provides information on coworking spaces around the world.
- Trello: A project management tool that can help you organize your work and keep track of your tasks.
- Upwork: A platform that connects freelancers with clients looking for their services.
Best Blogs for Digital Nomads
The following blogs offer a wealth of information and inspiration for anyone interested in the digital nomad lifestyle:
- Nomadic Matt - This blog is one of the most popular travel blogs out there and provides great tips on how to travel the world on a budget. It’s a great resource for digital nomads who want to save money while traveling.
- The Blonde Abroad - Run by Kiersten Rich, this blog focuses on female travel and provides great tips on how to travel solo and stay safe while doing so. It’s a great resource for female digital nomads.
- Goats On The Road - Run by a couple, Nick and Dariece, this blog is focused on providing practical tips for people who want to travel long-term. It covers topics like how to save money while traveling, how to work remotely, and how to stay healthy while on the road.
- Location Rebel - Run by Sean Ogle, this blog helps people build online businesses so they can work from anywhere in the world. It’s a great resource for digital nomads who want to start their own businesses.
- The Broke Backpacker - This blog, run by Will Hatton, is focused on providing tips on how to travel on a budget. It’s a great resource for digital nomads who want to save money while traveling.
- Fulltime Nomad - This blog provides practical tips for people who want to become digital nomads. It covers topics like how to find remote work, how to manage your finances, and how to stay productive while traveling.
- Digital Nomad Girls: This community of female digital nomads offers advice on how to travel solo, how to work remotely, and how to build a supportive network of like-minded women.
- Never Ending Footsteps: Run by Lauren Juliff, this blog focuses on adventure travel, slow travel, and overcoming anxiety while traveling.
- Be My Travel Muse: This blog, run by Kristin Addis, is geared towards female solo travelers and offers practical advice on budget travel, solo travel, and adventure travel.
- The Professional Hobo: Run by Nora Dunn, this blog offers advice on how to travel full-time while building a sustainable career.
- Digital Nomad Soul - This blog provides practical tips and advice for people who want to become digital nomads. It covers topics like how to find remote work, how to manage your finances, and how to stay productive while traveling.
- The Savvy Backpacker - This blog provides tips on how to travel on a budget. It’s a great resource for digital nomads who want to save money while traveling.
- Wandering Earl - This blog provides inspiration and practical tips for people who want to travel long-term. It covers topics like how to find work abroad, how to travel cheaply, and how to stay safe while traveling.
- The Points Guy - This blog helps people maximize their travel rewards. It’s a great resource for digital nomads who want to save money on flights, hotels, and other travel expenses.
Six Inspiring Examples of Digital Nomads
Here are six digital nomads that have inspired many people to take control of their careers and live a life of adventure, freedom, and creativity.
- Pieter Levels: Pieter Levels is the founder of Nomad List, a platform that helps digital nomads find the best places to live and work around the world. He’s also the founder of Remote OK, a job board for remote workers. Levels is a true pioneer in the digital nomad movement, and his work has helped countless people achieve their dream of location-independent work.
- Tiffany Soukup: Tiffany Soukup is a digital nomad who specializes in content marketing and social media strategy. She’s traveled to over 50 countries while building her business, and she’s passionate about helping other digital nomads succeed. Soukup shares her insights and tips on her blog, Vagabond Way, and she’s also the co-founder of the Facebook group Digital Nomad Girls.
- Benny Lewis: Benny Lewis is a language learning expert and travel blogger who has been traveling the world for over a decade. He’s the founder of Fluent in 3 Months, a popular language learning platform that helps people learn new languages quickly and effectively. Lewis is a great example of how being a digital nomad can open up opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Colin Wright: Colin Wright is a writer and entrepreneur who has been traveling the world for over a decade. He is the founder of the blog Exile Lifestyle, where he documents his adventures and shares his insights on life as a digital nomad.
- Jodi Etten: Jodi Etten is a digital nomad who specializes in web design and development. She’s been traveling the world full-time since 2017, and she’s worked with clients from all over the globe. Etten is also passionate about helping other digital nomads succeed, and she shares her insights and tips on her blog Live Work Travel.
- Natalie Sisson: Natalie Sisson is a digital nomad and author who has been traveling the world for over a decade. She is the founder of The Suitcase Entrepreneur, a community for digital nomads, and has written several books about her experiences as a location-independent entrepreneur.
Being a digital nomad is a lifestyle choice that offers freedom, flexibility, and the opportunity for personal and professional growth. However, it’s important to remember that being a successful digital nomad requires discipline, focus, and a willingness to adapt to new challenges and environments.
Ultimately, the decision to become a digital nomad is a personal one that requires careful consideration of the pros and cons. While it may not be for everyone, those who are drawn to this lifestyle often find it to be a rewarding and fulfilling way of living and working. With the right mindset, tools, and resources, digital nomads can enjoy a life of adventure, creativity, and productivity while also maintaining a healthy work-life balance. So, if you’re ready to take the leap and join the ranks of the digital nomad community, start planning your adventure today!
Explore over 900 Careers and 400 Degrees.
Take our Career Test.
Join our CareerExplorer Discord Community.