What is an Insurance Appraiser?
Insurance appraisers estimate the value of insured items and evaluate insurance claims. They decide whether an insurance company must pay a claim, and if so, how much. Most insurance appraisers work full time. They often work outside the office, inspecting damaged buildings and automobiles.
What does an Insurance Appraiser do?
What insurance appraisers, examiners, and investigators do varies by the type of insurance company they work for. They must know a lot about what their company insures. For example, workers in property and casualty insurance must know housing and construction costs to properly evaluate damage from floods or fires. Workers in health insurance must be able to determine which types of treatments are medically necessary and which are questionable.
Insurance appraisers typically do the following:
- Investigate, evaluate, and settle insurance claims
- Determine whether the insurance policy covers the loss claimed
- Decide the appropriate amount the insurance company should pay
- Ensure that claims are not fraudulent
- Contact claimants’ doctors or employers to get additional information on questionable claims
- Confer with legal counsel on claims when needed
- Keep claims files, such as records of settled claims and an inventory of claims requiring detailed analysis
- Negotiate settlements
- Authorize payments
Many appraisers who work for insurance companies and independent adjusting firms are automobile damage appraisers. They inspect damaged vehicles after an accident and estimate the cost of repairs. This information then goes to the adjuster, who puts the estimated cost of repairs into the settlement.
What is the workplace of an Insurance Appraiser like?
Their work environments vary. Some appraisers spend time in offices reviewing documents and conducting research. Others work outside more often, inspecting damaged buildings and automobiles and conducting surveillance.
Insurance Appraisers are also known as:
Home Insurance Appraiser Automobile Insurance Appraiser Health Insurance Appraiser Possession Insurance Appraiser Property Insurance Appraiser Casualty Insurance Appraiser Auto Damage Appraiser