Is becoming a speech language pathologist right for me?

The first step to choosing a career is to make sure you are actually willing to commit to pursuing the career. You don’t want to waste your time doing something you don’t want to do. If you’re new here, you should read about:

What do speech language pathologists do?
Career Satisfaction
Are speech language pathologists happy with their careers?
What are speech language pathologists like?

Still unsure if becoming a speech language pathologist is the right career path? to find out if this career is right for you. Perhaps you are well-suited to become a speech language pathologist or another similar career!

Described by our users as being “shockingly accurate”, you might discover careers you haven’t thought of before.

How to become a Speech Language Pathologist

Becoming a speech language pathologist involves completing a combination of education, clinical experience, and licensure. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to pursue this rewarding career:

  • Bachelor's Degree: Start by earning a Bachelor's Degree in Communicative Disorders, Speech Language Pathology, or a related field. While a bachelor's degree is a prerequisite for graduate programs, some programs offer a "bridge" program for those with non-SLP undergraduate degrees.
  • Master's Degree: To become a licensed speech language pathologist, you'll need to complete a Master's Degree in Speech Language Pathology from an accredited university. Look for programs accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).
  • Clinical Practicum: During your master's program, you'll participate in supervised clinical practicum experiences. These hands-on placements provide practical experience in working with individuals with communication disorders under the guidance of licensed professionals.
  • Obtain State Licensure: After completing your master's degree, you'll need to obtain a license to practice as a speech language pathologist in your state. Licensure requirements vary by state but typically include passing a national examination (such as the Praxis exam) and meeting educational and clinical experience criteria.
  • Clinical Fellowship (CFY): Once you've obtained your state licensure, you'll typically complete a clinical fellowship, also known as the Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY). This is a period of supervised professional practice that helps you transition from student to independent practitioner.
  • Pass Praxis Examination: As part of the CFY, you'll complete the Praxis examination in speech language pathology. This national exam assesses your knowledge and skills and is required for ASHA certification.
  • ASHA Certification: Obtain ASHA Certification: After completing your CFY and passing the Praxis exam, you can apply for the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP) from ASHA. While ASHA certification is not mandatory, it's widely recognized and often preferred by employers.
  • Career Specialization: As a licensed speech language pathologist, you can choose to specialize in areas such as pediatrics, adult communication disorders, voice therapy, fluency disorders, and more. Additional training and certifications can enhance your expertise in your chosen area.
  • Continuing Education: Stay current in the field by participating in continuing education and professional development opportunities. Many states and organizations require ongoing education to maintain licensure and certification.
  • Employment Opportunities: Start your career by applying for positions in schools, hospitals, clinics, rehabilitation centers, private practices, and other healthcare settings.

In the field of speech language pathology, there are various certifications that professionals can pursue to enhance their skills, knowledge, and credibility. Some of the notable certifications include:

  • Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP): Offered by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), this certification is widely recognized and often required by employers. To earn the CCC-SLP, candidates must complete their clinical fellowship (CFY), pass the Praxis examination in speech-language pathology, and meet ASHA's standards of professional practice.
  • Board-Certified Specialist Certification: ASHA offers specialty certifications for speech language pathologists who want to demonstrate expertise in specific areas. These include certifications in areas such as child language, fluency, swallowing, and more. Board-certified specialists showcase their advanced knowledge and experience within a specialized domain.
  • American Board of Child Language and Language Disorders (ABCLLD): This certification is designed for speech language pathologists who specialize in child language disorders. It validates advanced clinical skills in assessment and treatment of pediatric language disorders.
  • ASHA Specialty Recognition: ASHA offers specialty recognition for expertise in areas such as fluency, voice, and swallowing. These recognitions signify a commitment to advanced clinical practice and ongoing professional development.
  • VitalStim® Therapy Certification: VitalStim® Therapy is an approach used by speech language pathologists to treat dysphagia (swallowing disorders). SLPs can pursue this certification to become proficient in providing electrical stimulation therapy for swallowing rehabilitation.
  • Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT) Certification: This certification is focused on the LSVT LOUD® and LSVT BIG® programs, which are evidence-based treatments for individuals with Parkinson's disease and other neurological conditions affecting speech and movement.
  • HANEN Certification: HANEN offers certifications for speech language pathologists who specialize in early communication intervention. These programs emphasize family-centered approaches to support children's communication development.
  • Beckman Oral Motor Assessment and Intervention Certification: This certification focuses on assessing and treating oral motor and feeding difficulties in children. It equips SLPs with skills to address challenges related to chewing, swallowing, and speech production.
  • Certification in Clinical Competence in Fluency Disorders (CCC-FD): Offered by the International Fluency Association, this certification demonstrates expertise in the assessment and treatment of fluency disorders, including stuttering.