Is becoming a substance abuse social worker right for me?

The first step to choosing a career is to make sure you are actually willing to commit to pursuing the career. You don’t want to waste your time doing something you don’t want to do. If you’re new here, you should read about:

What do substance abuse social workers do?
Career Satisfaction
Are substance abuse social workers happy with their careers?
What are substance abuse social workers like?

Still unsure if becoming a substance abuse social worker is the right career path? to find out if this career is right for you. Perhaps you are well-suited to become a substance abuse social worker or another similar career!

Described by our users as being “shockingly accurate”, you might discover careers you haven’t thought of before.

How to become a Substance Abuse Social Worker

Becoming a substance abuse social worker involves several steps, including education, training, and licensure. Here's a general overview of the typical path to becoming a substance abuse social worker:

  • Education: Obtain a Bachelor's Degree in Social Work (BSW) or a related field. While a BSW can provide entry-level opportunities, consider pursuing a Master's Degree in Social Work (MSW) for advanced positions and greater specialization in substance abuse counseling.
  • Accumulate Experience: During your education or after completing your degree, gain experience through internships, volunteer work, or entry-level positions in social work or substance abuse-related settings. This experience will help you understand the field and build relevant skills.
  • Specialize in Substance Abuse: While pursuing your education or gaining experience, focus on coursework or training programs that emphasize substance abuse counseling, addiction treatment, and mental health.
  • Obtain Licensure: In most states, substance abuse social workers are required to be licensed. To become a licensed social worker, you need to pass the licensure exam specific to your state. Requirements may vary by state, so check with your state's licensing board for the specific criteria and process.
  • Certification: Consider obtaining certifications related to substance abuse counseling, such as becoming a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC) or a Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LCADC). Certification can enhance your qualifications and demonstrate specialized expertise to employers.
  • Continuing Education: Stay updated with the latest research, best practices, and developments in the field of substance abuse counseling. Participate in continuing education programs and workshops to maintain and enhance your skills and knowledge.
  • Networking and Professional Associations: Join professional organizations related to social work and substance abuse counseling, such as the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) or the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC). These associations offer networking opportunities, resources, and support for professional growth.
  • Job Search and Employment: Start searching for entry-level positions in substance abuse treatment centers, mental health clinics, hospitals, schools, or community organizations. Gain valuable experience and continue to develop your expertise in the field.
  • Ethical Practice: As a substance abuse social worker, adhere to ethical standards and principles of the profession. Maintain a commitment to client confidentiality, respect, and cultural competence.

Substance abuse social workers can enhance their credentials and demonstrate specialized expertise through various certifications. These certifications validate their knowledge and skills in providing effective treatment and support to individuals dealing with substance use disorders.

  • Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC): Offered by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC), the CADC certification is for professionals who work directly with individuals struggling with alcohol and drug addiction. To become a CADC, candidates must meet specific education and experience requirements and pass an examination.
  • Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LCADC): The LCADC is a higher-level certification also provided by NAADAC. This certification is for professionals with advanced education and experience in the field of alcohol and drug counseling. Candidates must meet stringent criteria, including supervised work experience and a clinical examination.
  • Certified Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CAADC): The CAADC certification is intended for professionals with a Master's degree in counseling or a related field. Offered by NAADAC, this certification demonstrates advanced knowledge and expertise in substance abuse counseling.
  • Certified Clinical Supervisor (CCS): Substance abuse social workers who have advanced experience in clinical supervision may pursue the CCS certification. This certification, also provided by NAADAC, acknowledges their competence in supervising other professionals in the field.
  • Licensed Independent Substance Abuse Counselor (LISAC): Some states have their licensing programs for substance abuse counselors, such as the LISAC. This license allows professionals to provide independent substance abuse counseling services in their state.
  • Master Addiction Counselor (MAC): The MAC certification is offered by the National Certification Commission for Addiction Professionals (NCC AP). It is intended for professionals with a Master's degree in a behavioral health-related field and significant experience in addiction counseling.
  • Substance Abuse Prevention Specialist (SAP Specialist): This certification, offered by the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC), is designed for professionals involved in substance abuse prevention and education programs.