Is becoming a water transport worker right for me?

The first step to choosing a career is to make sure you are actually willing to commit to pursuing the career. You don’t want to waste your time doing something you don’t want to do. If you’re new here, you should read about:

What do water transport workers do?
Career Satisfaction
Are water transport workers happy with their careers?
What are water transport workers like?

Still unsure if becoming a water transport worker is the right career path? to find out if this career is right for you. Perhaps you are well-suited to become a water transport worker or another similar career!

Described by our users as being “shockingly accurate”, you might discover careers you haven’t thought of before.

How to become a Water Transport Worker

Becoming a water transport worker in the United States involves a combination of education, training, and obtaining the necessary certifications. The specific path you take can vary depending on the type of water transport job you're interested in pursuing. Here's a general overview of the steps you might need to take:

  • Education: Most water transport workers require a high school diploma or equivalent. Some roles, especially those that involve technical or engineering aspects, might benefit from additional education such as a maritime-related degree from a maritime academy, community college, or vocational school.
  • Choose a Career Path: Determine which area of water transport you're interested in. Are you looking to work on cargo ships, cruise ships, fishing vessels, ferries, or another type of vessel? Different roles have specific requirements and training paths.
  • Obtain Necessary Certifications: Depending on the role, you may need to obtain various certifications, licenses, and endorsements (see below). The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is responsible for regulating the maritime industry and issuing these credentials.
  • Training Programs: Enroll in training programs that provide the skills and knowledge necessary for your chosen role. Many maritime academies, community colleges, and vocational schools offer courses related to navigation, seamanship, safety procedures, and maritime regulations.
  • Gain Sea Experience: Many water transport jobs require sea time or practical experience on vessels. This can often be obtained through internships, apprenticeships, or entry-level positions on ships. Sea time is crucial for developing practical skills and accumulating the required hours for certain certifications.
  • Pass Required Exams: Depending on the type of job, you might need to pass written and practical exams administered by the USCG or other relevant authorities. These exams test your knowledge of maritime regulations, navigation, safety procedures, and more.
  • Apply for Credentials: Once you've completed the necessary training and accumulated the required sea time, you can apply for the appropriate credentials from the USCG. This might involve submitting applications, documentation of sea service, and passing the required exams.
  • Continuing Education: The maritime industry is constantly evolving, so ongoing professional development and continuing education are important to stay up-to-date with industry changes and advancements.
  • Networking: Building connections within the maritime industry can help you learn about job opportunities, gain insights from experienced professionals, and navigate your career path effectively.
  • Job Search: Start looking for job opportunities that align with your qualifications and career goals. Online job boards, maritime industry associations, and maritime companies' websites are good places to start.

Water transport workers require various certifications and credentials to legally perform their roles and ensure the safety of maritime operations. The specific certifications can vary depending on the type of watercraft and the role within the maritime industry. Here are some of the key certifications for different types of water transport workers:

  • Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC): This is a comprehensive credential issued by the United States Coast Guard (USCG) that includes various endorsements and certificates. The MMC is required for most positions on commercial vessels and contains endorsements such as Able Seaman, Ordinary Seaman, Master, Chief Mate, and more.
  • Deck Officer Endorsements: For roles involving navigation and vessel operations, such as Captains, Mates, and Deck Officers, you'll need endorsements such as Master (Captain), Chief Mate, and Oceans or Near Coastal routes endorsements.
  • Engineer Officer Endorsements: Engineers on vessels require endorsements such as Chief Engineer, Second Engineer, and Third Engineer. These endorsements reflect your level of responsibility and qualifications in maintaining and operating the vessel's machinery.
  • Radar Observer Endorsement: Water transport workers who are responsible for navigation often need a Radar Observer endorsement, which demonstrates proficiency in using radar systems for safe navigation.
  • STCW Certification: The Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping (STCW) certification is an internationally recognized standard for maritime training. It's required for certain positions, especially those that operate internationally. It includes training in basic safety, survival, firefighting, and more.
  • Tankerman Endorsement: For workers involved in transporting hazardous materials or liquid cargo, a Tankerman endorsement is necessary. This endorsement requires training and knowledge of safe cargo handling procedures.
  • Lifeboatman Certification: Lifeboatmen are responsible for operating lifeboats during emergency situations. This certification ensures that you have the necessary skills to handle life-saving equipment.
  • Medical Certificate: Water transport workers often need a valid medical certificate to ensure they are physically fit for the demands of their role at sea.
  • Able Seaman (AB) Certification: The AB certification is essential for deckhands and sailors who perform various duties on vessels. It requires completing specific training and sea time.
  • Towing Endorsement: Tugboat operators or those involved in towing operations require a towing endorsement to legally perform these tasks.
  • Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV) License: This license, also known as a "six-pack" license, allows individuals to operate small passenger vessels carrying up to six passengers for hire.