What is a Cargo and Freight Agent?
A cargo and freight agent is someone who coordinates and facilitates incoming and outgoing shipments for transportation companies and other businesses. They typically work in warehouses, stockrooms, or shipping and receiving stations.
What does a Cargo and Freight Agent do?
Cargo and freight agents facilitate shipments of goods through airline, train, and trucking terminals and shipping docks. Agents ensure that shipments are picked up and delivered on time, paperwork is completed, and fees are collected. For international shipments, agents prepare and verify customs and tariff forms.
Some other things cargo and freight agents do:
- Determine shipping methods and routes from pick-up location to final destination
- Advise clients on transportation and payment options
- Coordinate transportation and logistics details with shipping and freight companies
- Estimate, negotiate, and determine postal rates, shipment costs, and other charges
- Notify clients of cargo shipments, status en route, and time of delivery
- Prepare bills of lading, invoices, and other required shipping documents
- Record information such as cargo amount, weight, dimensions, and time of shipment
- Trace lost shipments as necessary
Cargo and freight agents typically manage shipments for multiple clients at once. They often arrange their clients’ cargo and freight by destination, and send out many clients’ shipments simultaneously. Most cargo and freight agents store and use records on computers. They use bar codes and the Internet to track shipments and use spreadsheets to manage inventories. Although cargo and freight agents sometimes pack items for shipping and take them to a loading dock or station, that is not their primary role.
What is the workplace of a Cargo and Freight Agent like?
Cargo and freight agents typically work in warehouses, stockrooms, or shipping and receiving stations. Often, these worksites are not temperature-controlled. As a result, some agents spend time working in cold storage facilities or may be exposed to all types of weather on outdoor loading platforms.
Cargo and Freight Agents are also known as:
Cargo Agent Freight Broker Intermodal Dispatcher Load Planner Freight Forwarder Freight Agent