Computer programmers are about average in terms of happiness.
At CareerExplorer, we conduct an ongoing survey with millions of people and ask them how satisfied they are with their careers. As it turns out, computer programmers rate their career happiness 3.2 out of 5 stars which puts them in the top 49% of careers.
To put this into perspective, we compared how happy computer programmers are to similar careers in the industry. Take a look at the results below:
Salaries and satisfaction ratings in similar careers
|Disaster recovery specialist||3.3||$41k|
|Geospatial information scientist||3.3||$90k|
|Computer repair technician||3.3||$47k|
|IT security consultant||3.2||$60k|
|Distance learning coordinator||3.2||$83k|
So what does it mean to be happy in your career? Let’s break it down into different dimensions:
- Salary: Are computer programmers happy with their salary?
- Meaning: Do computer programmers find their jobs meaningful?
- Personality fit: How well suited are people’s personalities to their everyday tasks as computer programmers?
- Work environment: How enjoyable are computer programmer’s work environments?
- Skills utilization: Are computer programmers making the best use of their abilities?
Are computer programmers happy with their salary?
Get access to our full career encyclopedia
Get the full picture of what it's like to be a computer programmer. Learn more about their work environment, how happy they are on the job, and their unique personality with CareerExplorer Premium.