Is becoming an IT support specialist right for me?
The first step to choosing a career is to make sure you are actually willing to commit to pursuing the career. You don’t want to waste your time doing something you don’t want to do. If you’re new here, you should read about:
Still unsure if becoming an IT support specialist is the right career path? Take the free CareerExplorer career test to find out if this career is right for you. Perhaps you are well-suited to become an IT support specialist or another similar career!
Described by our users as being “shockingly accurate”, you might discover careers you haven’t thought of before.
How to become an IT Support Specialist
Becoming an IT support specialist requires a combination of education, technical skills, certifications, work experience, industry knowledge, and networking. With the right approach, dedication, and commitment to learning, you can succeed in this field. To become an IT support specialist, you can follow these general steps:
- Get the necessary education: At a minimum, you'll need a high school diploma or equivalent. However, a degree in a relevant field such as computer science or information technology will be highly beneficial.
- Acquire relevant skills: You'll need to have strong technical skills such as troubleshooting and problem-solving. Additionally, you should be familiar with operating systems, software, and hardware, and have good communication skills.
- Get certifications: There are several certifications available that can help you gain credibility and demonstrate your skills to potential employers.
- Gain work experience: You can gain work experience through internships or entry-level positions in the field. Look for opportunities to work in a help desk or technical support role to gain hands-on experience.
- Keep up with industry trends: The IT industry is constantly evolving, and it's important to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies. You can do this by attending conferences, workshops, and online courses.
- Build a strong professional network: Networking can help you meet potential employers and learn about job openings. Attend industry events and connect with other professionals in the field.
There are several certifications available for IT support specialists that can help them demonstrate their expertise and advance their careers. Here are some of the most popular certifications:
- CompTIA A+: This certification validates the foundational skills and knowledge needed for entry-level IT support positions. It covers areas such as hardware, networking, mobile devices, and operating systems.
- CompTIA Network+: This certification is for IT professionals who work with networking technologies. It covers topics such as network architecture, troubleshooting, and security.
- CompTIA Security+: This certification validates the knowledge and skills needed to secure IT networks and systems. It covers topics such as network security, cryptography, and access control.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA): This certification is for IT professionals who work with Microsoft technologies, such as Windows Server and Office 365. It covers areas such as installation, configuration, and administration.
- ITIL Foundation: This certification focuses on IT service management and helps IT support specialists understand the best practices for managing IT services.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA): This certification is for IT professionals who work with Cisco networking technologies. It covers topics such as routing and switching, network security, and wireless networking.
Here are some examples of online resources for IT support specialists:
- Spiceworks Community: The Spiceworks Community is a forum where IT support specialists can connect with other professionals, ask for advice, and share their expertise. The forum covers a wide range of topics, including hardware and software issues, networking, security, and more.
- TechRepublic: TechRepublic is a website that provides IT news, analysis, and tutorials. The site covers a wide range of topics, including hardware and software reviews, cybersecurity, networking, and more. IT support specialists can also access the site's forums to ask for help or share their knowledge.
- Microsoft Tech Community: The Microsoft Tech Community is a forum where IT support specialists can connect with other Microsoft professionals and get help with Microsoft products and services. The forum covers a wide range of topics, including Windows, Office, Azure, and more.
- Reddit r/ITCareerQuestions: The Reddit r/ITCareerQuestions subreddit is a community where IT professionals can ask for advice, share their experiences, and connect with others in the field. The subreddit covers a wide range of topics, including job search strategies, career development, and more.
- Udemy: Udemy is an online learning platform that offers a wide range of IT courses, including courses on networking, cybersecurity, programming, and more. IT support specialists can take these courses to expand their knowledge and skills and stay up-to-date with the latest technologies.
- Cisco Networking Academy: The Cisco Networking Academy is a free online learning platform that offers courses on networking, cybersecurity, and IoT. IT support specialists can take these courses to earn certifications and expand their knowledge and skills in these areas.