Software engineers are about average in terms of happiness.
At CareerExplorer, we conduct an ongoing survey with millions of people and ask them how satisfied they are with their careers. As it turns out, software engineers rate their career happiness 3.2 out of 5 stars which puts them in the bottom 46% of careers.
To put this into perspective, we compared how happy software engineers are to similar careers in the industry. Take a look at the results below:
Salaries and satisfaction ratings in similar careers
|IT security consultant||3.2||$60k|
|Distance learning coordinator||3.2||$83k|
|Audio and video equipment technician||3.2||$44k|
|Search marketing strategist||3.2||$90k|
So what does it mean to be happy in your career? Let’s break it down into different dimensions:
- Salary: Are software engineers happy with their salary?
- Meaning: Do software engineers find their jobs meaningful?
- Personality fit: How well suited are people’s personalities to their everyday tasks as software engineers?
- Work environment: How enjoyable are software engineer’s work environments?
- Skills utilization: Are software engineers making the best use of their abilities?
Are software engineers happy with their salary?
Get access to our full career encyclopedia
Get the full picture of what it's like to be a software engineer. Learn more about their work environment, how happy they are on the job, and their unique personality with CareerExplorer Premium.