What is an Advertising Manager?
An advertising manager is someone who plans and directs the promotional and advertising campaigns of companies in order to generate interest in a product or service. They work with art directors, sales agents, and financial staff members in order to develop and execute these campaigns, and will often act as liaisons between agencies and clients.
What does an Advertising Manager do?
An advertising manager will typically do the following:
- Work with department heads or staff to discuss topics such as contracts, selection of advertising media, or products to be advertised
- Gather and organize information to plan advertising campaigns
- Plan the advertising, including which media to advertise in, such as radio, television, print, online, and billboards
- Negotiate advertising contracts
- Inspect layouts, which are sketches or plans for an advertisement
- Initiate market research studies and analyze their findings
- Develop pricing strategies for products to be marketed, balancing the goals of a firm with customer satisfaction
- Meet with clients to provide marketing or technical advice
- Direct the hiring of advertising, promotions, and marketing staff and oversee their daily activities
An advertising manager creates interest among potential buyers of a product or service for a department, for an entire organization, or on a project basis (account). They work in advertising agencies that put together advertising campaigns for clients, in media firms that sell advertising space or time, and in organizations that advertise heavily. They work with sales staff and others to generate ideas for an advertising campaign and oversee the staff that develops the advertising. They work with the finance department to prepare a budget and cost estimates for the advertising campaign.
Often, an advertising manager serves as a liaison between the client requiring the advertising and an advertising or promotion agency that develops and places the ads. In larger organizations with an extensive advertising department, different advertising managers may oversee in-house accounts and creative and media services departments.
What is the workplace of an Advertising Manager like?
An advertising manager typically works in an office. Advertising jobs are usually stressful, particularly near deadlines. They may travel to meet with clients or representatives of communications media.
Advertising Managers are also known as:
Promotions Manager Marketing and Promotions Manager Advertising and Promotions Manager Advertising Sales Manager