Janitors are one of the least happy careers in the United States.
At CareerExplorer, we conduct an ongoing survey with millions of people and ask them how satisfied they are with their careers. As it turns out, janitors rate their career happiness 2.2 out of 5 stars which puts them in the bottom 1% of careers.
To put this into perspective, we compared how happy janitors are to similar careers in the industry. Take a look at the results below:
Salaries and satisfaction ratings in similar careers
|Customer service representative||2.3||$29k|
|Insurance sales agent||2.3||$43k|
So what does it mean to be happy in your career? Let’s break it down into different dimensions:
- Salary: Are janitors happy with their salary?
- Meaning: Do janitors find their jobs meaningful?
- Personality fit: How well suited are people’s personalities to their everyday tasks as janitors?
- Work environment: How enjoyable are janitor’s work environments?
- Skills utilization: Are janitors making the best use of their abilities?