Mental health counselors are below average when it comes to happiness.
At CareerExplorer, we conduct an ongoing survey with millions of people and ask them how satisfied they are with their careers. As it turns out, mental health counselors rate their career happiness 3.1 out of 5 stars which puts them in the bottom 37% of careers.
To put this into perspective, we compared how happy mental health counselors are to similar careers in the industry. Take a look at the results below:
Salaries and satisfaction ratings in similar careers
|Magnetic resonance imaging technologist||3.1||$73k|
|Health services manager||3.0||$100k|
|Occupational therapist assistant||3.0||$51k|
So what does it mean to be happy in your career? Let’s break it down into different dimensions:
- Salary: Are mental health counselors happy with their salary?
- Meaning: Do mental health counselors find their jobs meaningful?
- Personality fit: How well suited are people’s personalities to their everyday tasks as mental health counselors?
- Work environment: How enjoyable are mental health counselor’s work environments?
- Skills utilization: Are mental health counselors making the best use of their abilities?