Construction workers are one of the least happy careers in the United States.
At CareerExplorer, we conduct an ongoing survey with millions of people and ask them how satisfied they are with their careers. As it turns out, construction workers rate their career happiness 2.7 out of 5 stars which puts them in the bottom 9% of careers.
To put this into perspective, we compared how happy construction workers are to similar careers in the industry. Take a look at the results below:
Salaries and satisfaction ratings in similar careers
|Tile and marble setter||2.8||$43k|
|Drywall and ceiling tile installer||2.6||$41k|
|Fork lift operator||2.5||$35k|
So what does it mean to be happy in your career? Let’s break it down into different dimensions:
- Salary: Are construction workers happy with their salary?
- Meaning: Do construction workers find their jobs meaningful?
- Personality fit: How well suited are people’s personalities to their everyday tasks as construction workers?
- Work environment: How enjoyable are construction worker’s work environments?
- Skills utilization: Are construction workers making the best use of their abilities?