Lawyers are one of the least happy careers in the United States.
At CareerExplorer, we conduct an ongoing survey with millions of people and ask them how satisfied they are with their careers. As it turns out, lawyers rate their career happiness 2.6 out of 5 stars which puts them in the bottom 7% of careers.
To put this into perspective, we compared how happy lawyers are to similar careers in the industry. Take a look at the results below:
Salaries and satisfaction ratings in similar careers
So what does it mean to be happy in your career? Let’s break it down into different dimensions:
- Salary: Are lawyers happy with their salary?
- Meaning: Do lawyers find their jobs meaningful?
- Personality fit: How well suited are people’s personalities to their everyday tasks as lawyers?
- Work environment: How enjoyable are lawyer’s work environments?
- Skills utilization: Are lawyers making the best use of their abilities?