Accountants are one of the least happy careers in the United States.
At CareerExplorer, we conduct an ongoing survey with millions of people and ask them how satisfied they are with their careers. As it turns out, accountants rate their career happiness 2.6 out of 5 stars which puts them in the bottom 6% of careers.
To put this into perspective, we compared how happy accountants are to similar careers in the industry. Take a look at the results below:
Salaries and satisfaction ratings in similar careers
So what does it mean to be happy in your career? Let’s break it down into different dimensions:
- Salary: Are accountants happy with their salary?
- Meaning: Do accountants find their jobs meaningful?
- Personality fit: How well suited are people’s personalities to their everyday tasks as accountants?
- Work environment: How enjoyable are accountant’s work environments?
- Skills utilization: Are accountants making the best use of their abilities?