Meter readers are one of the least happy careers in the United States.
At CareerExplorer, we conduct an ongoing survey with millions of people and ask them how satisfied they are with their careers. As it turns out, meter readers rate their career happiness 2.7 out of 5 stars which puts them in the bottom 12% of careers.
To put this into perspective, we compared how happy meter readers are to similar careers in the industry. Take a look at the results below:
Salaries and satisfaction ratings in similar careers
|Healthcare social worker||2.8||$57k|
|Substance abuse social worker||2.7||$47k|
|Delivery service driver||2.6||$31k|
So what does it mean to be happy in your career? Let’s break it down into different dimensions:
- Salary: Are meter readers happy with their salary?
- Meaning: Do meter readers find their jobs meaningful?
- Personality fit: How well suited are people’s personalities to their everyday tasks as meter readers?
- Work environment: How enjoyable are meter reader’s work environments?
- Skills utilization: Are meter readers making the best use of their abilities?