A music business degree is an educational program that combines music industry knowledge with business principles. This degree is designed to prepare students for careers in the music business, providing a comprehensive understanding of the various facets of the industry, including management, marketing, legal aspects, and entrepreneurship. It equips students with the skills needed to navigate the dynamic and competitive field of music business.
Types of Degrees Offered in Music Business:
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) in Music Business: Typically a four-year undergraduate program that covers foundational business courses alongside specialized music industry coursework.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a Music Business Concentration: A graduate-level program that combines core MBA courses with a focus on music business, offering a more in-depth exploration of strategic management, finance, and leadership in the context of the music industry.
- Master of Arts (MA) or Master of Science (MS) in Music Business: A graduate-level program with a focus on specific areas of music business, such as music production, artist management, or entertainment law.
Top Schools in the US for a Music Business Degree:
- Berklee College of Music (Boston, MA): Offers a Bachelor of Music in Music Business/Management and a Master of Arts in Music Business.
- New York University (NYU) - Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development (New York, NY): Offers a Bachelor of Music in Music Business and a Master of Arts in Music Business.
- University of Southern California (USC) - Thornton School of Music (Los Angeles, CA): Offers a Bachelor of Science in Music Industry and a Master of Science in Music Industry.
- Belmont University - Curb College of Entertainment and Music Business (Nashville, TN): Offers a Bachelor of Business Administration in Music Business.
- Drexel University - Westphal College of Media Arts & Design (Philadelphia, PA): Offers a Bachelor of Science in Music Industry and a Master of Science in Music Industry Leadership.
A music business degree opens doors to a variety of roles within the music industry, allowing individuals to combine their passion for music with business acumen. Graduates can pursue careers in management, marketing, production, law, and entrepreneurship, contributing to the vibrant and ever-evolving world of music.
- Music Manager: Represent and guide musicians or bands in their careers, handling contracts, negotiations, and overall career strategy.
- Music Promoter / Booking Agent: Plan and promote concerts, events, and tours for artists, securing venues and managing logistics.
- Music Producer: Oversee the production of musical recordings, working with artists to achieve the desired sound and overseeing the technical aspects of recording.
- Music Publisher: Work with songwriters and composers to license and promote their music, ensuring they receive royalties for their work.
- A&R Administrator / A&R Coordinator: Scout and sign new talent for record labels, working to develop artists and guide their artistic direction.
- Tour/Road Manager: Coordinate and manage the logistical aspects of concert tours, ensuring smooth operations and the well-being of artists and crew.
- Music Attorney: Provide legal advice and representation to musicians, labels, and other industry professionals, handling contracts, copyrights, and negotiations.
- Music Business Entrepreneur: Start and manage your own music-related business, such as a record label, artist management company, or music production studio.
See which schools are the most and least expensive.Read about Tuition