Bus drivers are one of the least happy careers in the United States.
At CareerExplorer, we conduct an ongoing survey with millions of people and ask them how satisfied they are with their careers. As it turns out, bus drivers rate their career happiness 2.7 out of 5 stars which puts them in the bottom 12% of careers.
To put this into perspective, we compared how happy bus drivers are to similar careers in the industry. Take a look at the results below:
Salaries and satisfaction ratings in similar careers
|Highway maintenance worker||2.8||$41k|
|Rail transportation worker||2.8||$49k|
|Cargo and freight agent||2.7||$44k|
So what does it mean to be happy in your career? Let’s break it down into different dimensions:
- Salary: Are bus drivers happy with their salary?
- Meaning: Do bus drivers find their jobs meaningful?
- Personality fit: How well suited are people’s personalities to their everyday tasks as bus drivers?
- Work environment: How enjoyable are bus driver’s work environments?
- Skills utilization: Are bus drivers making the best use of their abilities?