Taxi drivers are one of the least happy careers in the United States.
At CareerExplorer, we conduct an ongoing survey with millions of people and ask them how satisfied they are with their careers. As it turns out, taxi drivers rate their career happiness 2.7 out of 5 stars which puts them in the bottom 11% of careers.
To put this into perspective, we compared how happy taxi drivers are to similar careers in the industry. Take a look at the results below:
Salaries and satisfaction ratings in similar careers
|Highway maintenance worker||2.8||$41k|
|Rail transportation worker||2.8||$49k|
|Cargo and freight agent||2.7||$44k|
|Delivery service driver||2.6||$31k|
So what does it mean to be happy in your career? Let’s break it down into different dimensions:
- Salary: Are taxi drivers happy with their salary?
- Meaning: Do taxi drivers find their jobs meaningful?
- Personality fit: How well suited are people’s personalities to their everyday tasks as taxi drivers?
- Work environment: How enjoyable are taxi driver’s work environments?
- Skills utilization: Are taxi drivers making the best use of their abilities?